Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Annoyances of Moving

Since 2004 I've lived in seven different buildings, in four different cities, in three different states. I hate moving. Thanks college.

And now I'm moving again, to city #5, which is in a different state from city #4, but at least it's close enough to not be completely frustrating. Plus my parents live near the new place, so I can take crap up to their place when I visit. And I'll be paying for two apartments during July, just to give me some time to move and transition and clean. Smooth sailing, right?

No. I am not on a fun boat with T-Pain. Fail.

Wrong. See, it would be great if it wasn't for my landlord/management company. I tell them I'm moving. I even given them the date that the truck is coming in (which is a full four weeks before the lease ends). I assure them that we will be completely moved and cleaned up with at least two weeks to go on the lease.

Then, they say that I should try and "move faster" so that they can come in an take pictures of the place for advertising. They say this when I have seven weeks left on my lease. Seven weeks and you want me to move faster? And this is right after they make sure I'm still going to pay them for July. Freaking of course I will, didn't I just say I'd still be there at least two weeks into the month?

So OK, I get some stuff up to my parent's house, take my own pictures, now I hope they'll get off my case.

Oh no! Someone shows up to look at the place yesterday, I had no advance warning of this. I had a missed call a few days back from a local area code, but there was no message. Was I supposed to be psychic and deduce exactly the moment these people were coming by? Was I suppose to call back this mystery phone number that had left no message? Hell no, I never do that. If I don't know you, and you don't leave a message, I write it off as a wrong number, because for some reason I get loads of those.

And better yet, the guy showing the apartment seemed confused when I said the lease ended July 31st. I really hope he's just confused (there is at least one other unit in the building currently being shown) because otherwise my landlord is apparently trying to rent this place while all of my furniture is still there with a month left on my stinking lease.

Moving is the best.

Whatever, I'm going to go back to listing to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Which, by the way, is the exact opposite of I'm on a Boat, as it is considered The Saddest Song Ever Written. But that's a tangent for another day.

2 comments:

  1. thats complete bs. it sounds like he knows your moving and wants to have someone else move in for that last month so hes getting you paying rent (knowing you wont be there though) and then having another person pay it for the same month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thing is, he knows we will be there at least till the 9th. I told him that flat out. Either way, they've received a questioning e-mail regarding the entire situation, so let's hope the guy from the apartment finder company was just really confused.

    ReplyDelete