Monday, June 20, 2011

Game of Thrones Season 1

Well HBO's Game of Thrones ended last night in spectacular fashion. As a huge fan of the books I was incredibly pleased by the television adaptation. The casting (in most cases) was spot on, the scenes were faithfully adapted and interpretative, and it really captured the "anything goes/shit is gonna go down" essence of the books.

NOW. If you haven't read all of the books, please do not continue reading my completely unorganized bullet points. I assure you that I will be spoilering the crap out of things. You've been warned.
  • Robb nooo! I like TV Robb much more than book Robb, probably because in the novels he is only ever followed from Catlyn's perspective. He seems so much more epic and fleshed out on television, which makes me so sad knowing that if the show continues to do well, he's going to get Red Wedding'd. And Hard :(
  • And Cersei... as mentioned above I've been great with all the casting choices. But Cersei (played by Lena Headey) has just been far too wooden for me thus far. She doesn't really emote a whole ton of a lot, and considering Cersei eventually goes off the deep end... I'm going to need some facial expressions honey.
  • Dragons! I was a bit afraid that they'd look all goofy, but my fear were all wrong! Sucks that Dany's story really doesn't do that much in the next few books. I'd imagine new viewers are like "SHIT YES SHE'S GONNA WIN WESTEROS NOW." But no. As of Storm of Swords she is still chilling on the other continent with dragons the size of terriers.
  • The Pycelle scene, showing how his whole senile bit was just a giant act... awesome. Considering he's basically the only small council member left by the 5th book, it must be working (minus that whole beard thing).
  • Tyrion for an Emmy. Seriously. Those nominations come out July 14th? I think.
  • Casting casting casting. Who will be out Stannis? Melesandre? Davos, Brienne, Balon, Asha? Will GRRM do more silly casting riddles with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment